Perast is situated opposite the Verige strait, at the foothill of the Kason hill. The objects found in the Spila cave, near Perast, testify to the early human presence in this area. The town was named after the Illyrian tribe Pirusta and it had a very rich history.
This small baroque town reached its height of glory in the 17th and 18th centuries. At that time, Perast had a merchant fleet of around 100 ships. Its sailors were well-known for their skill and courage.
Two small picturesque islands are located in front of Perast: St. George (Sv. Djordje), which is a natural island, and Our Lady of the Rock (Gospa od Skrpjela), a man-made island.
On the island of St. George there is a small church, erected in the 17th century and an old cemetery where most of the seafarers from Perast were buried.
The island of Our Lady of the Rock was artificially built by piling stones over a sea rock. The church was erected in 1630 and it contains a large collection of silver plates with reliefs showing the development of sea faring life in Boka. The interior of the church is decorated with 68 paintings by Tripo Kokolja, a well-known baroque painter originally from Perast. On the right altar there is a painting of St. Roko, artwork of the Italian painter Tiepolo.
The edifice connected to the church contains a small museum with a magnificent collection of paintings.
In Perast, there are many beautiful palaces that belonged to the famous seafarer families.
- Viskovic Palace from the 18th century.
- Zmajevic Palace from the 17th century, built in the renaissance style.
- Smekja Palace, erected in the 18th century.
- Bujovic Palace, the most beautiful example of the baroque architecture in Boka, erected in the 17th century. Today, the palace hosts the Perast museum with a very rich collection of documents, paintings and objects related to the naval history of this town.
- Balovic Palace, erected in the 18th century.
- St.Nichola’s Church is located in the main town square. I was built in the 17th century.
- The church of St. Ana is situated on the hill above Perast.
- The church of St. Antun with a monastery was built in the 17th century.
- The church of St.Ivan the Baptist was built in the 16th century.